Be Adventurous, Creative and Open-Minded



Zappos reading time…I want to share a paragraph that I have read about one of the core value at Zappos
…drum rolls please….Here it is (pg 168)

Be Adventurous, Creative and Open-Minded

“At Zappos, we think it’s important for people and the company as a whole to be bold and daring (but not reckless). We want everyone to not be afraid to take risks and to not be afraid to make mistakes, because if people aren’t making mistakes then that means they’re not taking enough risks. Over time, we want everyone to develop his/her gut about business decisions. We want people to develop and improve their decision-making skills. We encourage people to make mistakes as long as they learn from them.”

I think about what I am trying to do on my facebook everyday: Writing. My writing is probably not in a good grammar, not even in an American writing style, (kind of Vietnamese writing style). However, what I enjoy is a little progress daily. The feeling that your thoughts become more physical, more mature in the shape of words, making me thrilled because it is like I am changing something.

Can you imagine that? First, your ideas and thoughts are like little babies. Those ideas are just crawling in your head. When you write it down, it is like walking from your mind to whoever reads it. 

Yes! Ideas and thoughts have legs. 

Now it is even better that we have Facebook and Google. Then, you can make your ideas larger and larger by people commenting and 
feeding back to your ideas. Isn’t it great? 

For me, writing and reading are really adventurous. It can restructure your mind, give you “maps” where to go in life, and build your dreams. 

Getting to my bed time, I want to share some questions from the book of Zappos that you can ask and challenge you and myself:

1. Are you taking enough risks?2. Are you afraid of making mistakes?3. Do you push yourself outside of your comfort zone?4. Is there a sense of adventure and creativity in the work that you do?5. What are some creative things that you can contribute to your lives?6. Do you approach situations and challenges with an open mind?

ZZzzzzzzz……….

Comments

Popular Posts